|For Immediate Release
March 3, 2016
NRB Board Speaks on Life and Liberty
Nashville, TN – The National Religious Broadcasters Board of Directors adopted seven Resolutions last week highlighting important issues for Christian media professionals. The NRB Board, a body of approximately one hundred key leaders among Christian communicators, unanimously approved statements on:
- Marriage: Calling on federal and state governments to honor the First Amendment and “pass laws preventing government intolerance and discrimination against those who believe in and uphold biblical marriage.” Also, urging the nation “to return to the Truth that marriage is the sacred union between one man and one woman.”
- Religious Freedom Restoration Act: Describing the bipartisan development of the Religious Freedom Restoration Act (RFRA), which was signed into law by President Bill Clinton in a White House Rose Garden ceremony. Warning, “Powerful liberal lobbies seem to be growing generally more intolerant of religious liberty and particularly more willing to use legislation to undermine RFRA and related state laws.” Urging RFRA be upheld and respected by the government.
- No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion: Declaring, “All people are made in the image of God and, therefore, have intrinsic value and dignity.” Denouncing abortion-on-demand culture as evil. Urging “absolutely no federal funding facilitates abortion” and, specifically, a moratorium on taxpayer money going to Planned Parenthood in light of the horrific revelations of undercover videos last summer.
- Voting: Affirming the Christian’s responsibility to steward gifts granted to us by God and that one gift Americans have is the right to vote. Noting that only 25 percent of evangelicals in the U.S. do so. Stating, “NRB, a non-partisan association, encourages all Christians in the United States to faithfully exercise their right to vote by registering to vote and then voting in local, state, and national elections, including those in this current year.”
- International Persecution of Christians: Highlighting the alarming increase of persecution against Christians around the world and calling for the U.S. Government to advocate freedom internationally and “to be loud and lucid in its condemnation of attacks on Christians and other religious minorities overseas.”
- Global Internet Freedom: Noting that repressive regimes seek to curtail freedom online and, specifically regarding the Obama Administration’s intention to transfer America’s supervisory authority over Web domain names and addresses, that “Members of Congress rightly want details of the plan in advance and certification that it will not harm Internet freedom or allow another government to fill the void of the United States.” Calling on the U.S. to ensure Internet freedom globally.
- Israel: Affirming that Israel’s history shows “the providential hand of God and His commitment to fulfilling His promises in His Holy Word, the Bible,” and highlighting the special relationship of Israel with the U.S. as “nations committed to freedom and democratic governance that respects the rule of law and the rights of minorities.” Calling on NRB members “to pray for the peace of Jerusalem, and for God’s protection over all of Israel, and for all people of good will who seek true peace in the Holy Land.” Also, urging the U.S. to be a faithful ally to Israel in its time of need.
Resolutions are often adopted by the Board of Directors during NRB’s International Christian Media Convention and serve as statements by NRB as an association expressing its support or opposition to domestic legislation, cultural movements, judicial decisions, geopolitical or international issues, or events of particular importance to NRB members. The full texts of these and previous years’ Resolutions are available online here.
The National Religious Broadcasters (NRB) is a non-partisan, international association of Christian communicators whose member organizations represent millions of listeners, viewers, and readers. Our mission is to advance biblical truth; to promote media excellence; and to defend free speech. In addition to promoting standards of excellence, integrity, and accountability, NRB provides networking, educational, ministry, and fellowship opportunities for its members. Learn more at www.nrb.org.
About the Convention
The annual NRB International Christian Media Convention is the largest nationally and internationally recognized event dedicated solely to assist those in the field of Christian communications. The dynamic Exposition consists of around 200 companies and is an active marketplace for those seeking tools and services to expand their organizations. The next Convention will be held at the Orlando World Marriott in Orlando, FL, February 27-March 2, 2017. For more information, go to www.nrbconvention.org.
National Religious Broadcasters
9510 Technology Drive
Manassas, VA 20110